Eating shark products may increase Alzheimer's risk
Consumed widely in Asia, shark products may not be actually that healthy for humans as researchers have found high concentrations of toxins linked to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease in the fins and muscles of sharks.
"Our results suggest that humans who consume shark parts may be at a risk for developing neurological diseases." said senior author of the study Deborah Mash, Professor of Neurology at the University of Miami in the US.
Fins and muscle tissue samples were collected from 10 shark species found in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans for concentrations of two toxins - mercury and beta-N-methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA).
"Recent studies have linked BMAA to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)," Mash said.
In a study published in the journal Toxins, the researchers reported detecting concentrations of mercury and BMAA in the fins and muscles of all shark species at levels that may pose a threat to human health.
While both mercury and BMAA by themselves pose a health risk, together they may also have synergistic toxic impacts.
"Since sharks are predators, living higher up in the food web, their tissues tend to accumulate and concentrate toxins, which may not only pose a threat to shark health, but also put human consumers of shark parts at a health risk," the study's lead author Neil Hammerschlag from the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science said.
Shark products including shark fins, cartilage and meat are widely consumed in Asia and globally in Asian communities, as a delicacy and as a source of traditional Chinese medicine. In addition, dietary supplements containing shark cartilage are consumed globally.
"People should be aware and consider restricting consumption of shark parts. Limiting the consumption of shark parts will have positive health benefits for consumers and positive conservation outcomes for sharks, many of which are threatened with extinction due in part to the growing high demand for shark fin soup and, to a lesser extent, for shark meat and cartilage products," Hammerschlag said.
How to give your woman a massage that will leave her begging for more
Give your partner this 10-minute rub down and you will be rewarded with a happy woman in your arms.
Enjoying great sex is all about setting the right mood for it. Massaging with those sensuous touches releases hormones that boost the sex drive tremendously. The smooth texture of the oil, be it sweet almond oil or sensual oils like spearmint, honey massage oils and creams give a great sense of pampering and are a turn-on at the same time. Sexy isn’t it? Now think of you giving the massage touching the erotic curves and silky skin of a woman’s body. Here’s how you can massage her body and keep her begging for more.
1. To begin, have her lie face-down on a towel and dim the lights. Set a few candles to set the mood. Then squeeze some essential oil onto your palms and rub your palms together to warm the oil. Almond oil can be the best option as it allows your hand to slide smoothly.
2. Start with the shoulders and then move on to the base of the neck and down to the arms. You can also gently squeeze her skin between your thumb and fingers. Then return your hands to her neck and slowly work your way down to her back making smooth circular motions. Massage with the heels of your hands at the side of her spine.
3. Then move on to her buttocks. The buttocks are a highly erotic area, and your very sensuous massage can be a perfect romantic foreplay. Just place your palms on her mounds and massage in circular motions. Slowly increase the pressure while you create a roll of skin with your thumb and push it up.
4. She will be delighted when you stroke her thighs and calves and caress them with your fingers. For a leg massage, have her lie on her back and gently massage her knee cap.
5. If you start with massaging the chest, it can make her feel ready for some love making so keep it for the last. Start stroking slowly and then build up more pressure. Rub her breasts while bringing them together and finish off with the nipples.